FAIR TRADE >>
We firmly believe in fair trade and Kerala Connections
has had a Fair Trade Policy since the company was formed in
1998. Our Fair Trade initiatives include:
- We do not have ‘exclusive agreements’ with hotels and
do not block book rooms. Rooms are booked on a first come,
first served basis. This means that the hotels are free to
market their properties in the way that suits them best.
- We pay all our associates promptly. This is unusual in
India and much appreciated by everyone we work with. This
prompt payment means that our bookings are favoured at
- Where possible we book the hotels on a bed and
breakfast basis. This gives our customers the opportunity
to eat elsewhere which may include small local
restaurants. In this way your money goes directly to the
- Our drivers have a contract and are paid a monthly
wage. This is very unusual in South India where the normal
practice is to pay drivers commission only and therefore
only earn during the season.
- There are a number of retailers who pay tour operators
to take customers to their shops. This is unfair, both to
the customers (who pay a premium for their purchases to
cover the commission) and to other local traders. We do
not approve of such practices and do not participate.
- We strive to keep our overheads down in order to
provide our customers with competitive prices.